Welcome to Government College Department : Music Vocal Department
Department of Music Vocal was established in the same year when the college was established in 1945.
It should be considered as a mandatory subject in the curriculum for the betterment of its future.
Our misssion is to provide the highest level of musical training and wide ranging performance opportunities to students, inspire personal development, celebrate diversity and foster good will.
Name: DR. Harjus Kaur
Designation: Associate Prof.
Joining Date: 1966-03-08
Area of Specialisation:Gurmat Sangeet.
Email: [email protected]
Vidwan ID : 382572
Appointment Type : Regular
Lesson plansB. A. sem. III, IV 2022-2023.pdf
B. A. sem I, II 2022-2023.pdf
Ba 3 2022-23.pdf
Lesson plansB. A. Sem I, II 2021-2022.pdf
Ba 2 2021-22 (1) (1).pdf
Ba 3 2021-22.pdf
Lesson plansB. A. Sem I, II 2020-2021.pdf
B. A. sem V, VI 2020-2021.pdf
Ba 2 2020-21.pdf
Lesson plansB. A. sem III, IV 20219-2020.pdf
B. A. semV, VI 2019-2020.pdf
Ba 1 2019 -20.pdf
Lesson plans2018-19 BA3.pdf
Ba 1 2018-19.pdf
The Music Vocal subject is an optional subject at undergraduate level and concerns with study of Indian Classical Music.
B.A. SEM - I
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms – Sangeet, Naad, Swara,Saptak, Taal & Laya.
- Historical devolpment of Music in Vedic & Natya Shastra Period.
- Importence of Taal & Laya in human life.
- Life & contribution of Tansen & Pt. Vishnu Narayan Bhatkhande.
- Detailed knowledge of Tanpura, Harmonium & Tabla.
- Description & Performence of Raag Bilawal & Kalayan.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Teen Taal, Dadra & Kehrva by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
B.A. SEM - II
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms - Raag, Thaat, Jaties of Raag.
- Historical devolpment of Music in Ramayan & Mahabharat Period.
- Importence of voice culture music in Sangeet.
- Life & Conribution of Vishnu Digambar Pulskar & Gujar Ram Vasdev Ragi.
- Description & Performence of Raag Khamaj, Bhupali.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of EKtaal, Roopak, Teevra by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
B.A. SEM - III
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms – Nayas, Apnayas, Grah, Ansh.
- Historical study of Music upto 12 th
- Knowledge of Khayal Gayan Shailies.
- Life & contribution of Ustad Faiyaz Khan & Swami Harriavallabh.
- Description & Performence of Raag Bhairav &
- Folk Music of Punjab.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Tilwara, Japtaal by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
B.A. SEM - IV
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms – Khatka, Murki, Andolan, Kan..
- Life & contribution of Pt Omkar Nath Thakur & Prof. Tara Singh .
- Importance of Music in Gurmat Sangeet.
- Tanpura & its Sahayak Naad.
- Description & Performence of Raag Asawari, Des, Bhimplasi.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Deepchandi, Dhamar & Jat Talas by hand or on Tabla. A devotional Song on Harmonium.
- Role of Computer & Internet in Music.
B.A. SEM - V
- Historical study of Music upto 18 th century to 1947 .
- Life & contribution of Pt. Karishan Rao & Shankar Pandit, Pt. Dalip Chaner Vedi.
- Importance of Instrumental in Indian Music.Detailed Knowledge of Rabab, Tabla & Dilruba instruments.
- Development & importance of Notation System of Hindustani Music.
- Description & Performence of Raag Todi, Bihag.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Teevra, Jhumra on Tabla & by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
B.A. SEM – VI
- Historical study of Music from 1947 to Present Period.
- Life & contribution of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan & Smt. Hira Bai Barodkar.
- Different Gayan Shailies of Gurmat Sangeet.
- Description & Performence of Raag Bhairavi, Ramkali & Mian Malhar.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Ada Chautal, Jat, Tilwara, on hand & Tabla.
- Tunnig of instrument.
- Evolution & development of Indian Musiacal scale.
- The department has many types of Instruments like Tanpura, Harmonium, Swar Mandal, etc.
- The department has some digital electronics Instruments like Tanpura(Swarangani), Tabla(Taal Mala), Lehra(Sunadamala), Keyboard.
- The department has a personal library.
- The department has a high quality sound system.
Activities offered : Students prepared for
- Youth Festival (Punjabi University Patiala)
- Annual Gurmat Sangeet Kirtan
- District Youth Festival (Government of Punjab)
Students Achievments : Zonal Youth Festival (2019-20)
- 2 nd Prize in Geet/Gazal
- 3 rd Prize in Classical Vocal
- 3 rd Prize inGroup Song (Indian)
Student progression & Achievement.
- Some students Persuing certificate course/diploma (Indian classical vocalist music, Indian Folk music, Punjabi folk music, light music, gurmat sangeet)
- Many students joined music as hobby class.
- Few students indulge themselves into spiritual, devotional and cultural music as career.
- couple of students choose music as teaching profession in Government ant private institutions.
- few students Opt as instrument maker.
- Few students give lecture cam demonstration in monthly musical meeting.
- Some students work as event organizer can Programme co-ordirator.
- some students are doing studio work.
- some students created musical group as their career.