Welcome to Government College Department : Music Instrumental Department
Department of Music Instrumental was established in the same year when the college was established in 1945.
To nurture and propagate the priceless heritage of Indian Classical Music.
Our misssion is to provide the highest level of musical training and wide ranging performance opportunities to students, inspire personal development, celebrate diversity and foster good will.
Name: Gurpreet Singh
Designation: Guest Faculty
Joining Date: 2018-02-26
Qualification: M. A. , M. Phil., UGC-NET
Area of Specialisation:Music Instrumtal
Email: [email protected]
Vidwan ID :
Appointment Type : Guest Faculty
The Music Instrumental subject is an elective subject at undergraduate level and concerns with study of Hindustani Instrumental Music. The candidate can opt any of the instrument from Sitar, Sarangi, Veena, Violin, Dilruba, Flute, Santoor, Sarod etc.
B.A. SEM - I
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms – Sangeet, Naad, Swara & Bols of Mizrab.
- Historical devolpment of Music in Vedic & Natya Shastra Period.
- Importence of Taal & Laya in Instrumental Music.
- Life & contribution of Ustad Alaudin Khan & Pt. Vishnu Narayan Bhatkhande.
- Classification of Indian Musical Instruments. Detailed knowledge of Sitar & Tabla.
- Description & Performence of Raag Bilawal & Khamaj.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Teen Taal, Ektaal & Rupak Taal by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
B.A. SEM - II
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms - Saptak, Raag, Thaat.
- Historical devolpment of Music in Ramayan & Mahabharat Period.
- Life & contribution of Pt. Nikhil Banarjee & Pt.Ravi Shankar.
- Importence of Instrumental Music in Gurmat Sangeet, Role of Music in Human Life, Knowledge of Flute & Violin.
- Description & Performence of Raag Kafi & Kalayan, a Dhun Vadan.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Jhaptaal, Sooltaal & Chautaal by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
B.A. SEM - III
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms – Jod-Alap, Krintan, Gat, Zamzama.
- Historical study of Music upto 12 th
- Knowledge of Sarangi & Santoor. Different Vadan Shailies of Sitar. Tanpura & its Sahayak Naad.
- Life & contribution of Ustad Vilayat Khan & Pt. Hari Prasad Chaurasia.
- Tradition of string instruments in Punjab.
- Description & Performence of Raag Bhairav & Bageshwari. A Patriotic / National Anthem on Harmonium.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Deeochandi & Tilwara by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries.
- Tunining of instrument.
B.A. SEM - IV
- Definitaton & explanation of Muscial terms – Gamak, Baaj, Avirbhava-Tirobhava, Alapatava-Bahutava.
- Life & contribution of Dr. Lal Mani Mishar & Ustad Lachhman Singh Seen .
- Contribution of electronic devices in the propagation of Music. Concept of Jugalbandi. Contribution of Rababi Musicians to Gurmat Sangeet.
- Knowledge of Punjabi Folk Instruments – Algoja & Tumbi.
- Description & Performence of Raag Varidavani Sarang, Bhimplasi & Bihag.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Tivra, Dhamar & Jat Talas by hand or on Tabla. A devotional Song on Harmonium.
- Use of two swaras Meend & Kan.
B.A. SEM - V
- Historical study of Music upto 18 th century to 1947 .
- Life & contribution of Ustad Ali Akbar Khan & Ustad Bismillah Khan.
- Importance of Instrumental in Indian Music.Detailed Knowledge of Rabab, Tabla & Dilruba instruments.
- Evolution & development of Indian Musiacal scale. Development & importance of Notation System of Hindustani Music.
- Description & Performence of Raag Todi, Malkauns & a Dhun Vadan. National Anthem on Instrument. in Teen Taal & a Gat in Ek taal.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Ada Chautal, Jhumra on Tabla & by hand in Ekgun & Dugan Laykaries. Meend of 3-4 swara.
B.A. SEM – VI
- Historical study of Music from 1947 to Present Period.
- Life & contribution of Mahant Gajja Singh & Dr. N. Rajam.
- Detailed Knowledge of Sarangi, Veena, Pakhavaj Instruments & Folk instruments of Punjab. Importance of Taal in Music.
- Description & Performence of Raag Bhairavi, Multani & Mian Malhar.
- Detailed knowledge & demonstration of Jat Taal, Sool Taal on Tabla.
- Tunnig of instrument. Use of Meend in 3-4 swara
- The department has many types of classical & Folk Instruments like Sitar, Zitar (electronic Sitar), Sarod, Dilruba, Violin, Harmoniuom, Nal Tarang, Tanpura, Tabla, Drum, Keyboard, Sarangi, Guitar, Mandolin, Rabab, Tumbi, Dhol, Dholak, Nagara, Chimta,Been, Daf, etc.
- The department has some digital electronics Instruments like Tanpura(Swarangani), Tabla(Taal Mala), Lehra(Sunadamala)
- The department has a personal library.
Students prepared for
- Youth Festival (Punjabi University Patiala)
- Annual Gurmat Sangeet Kirtan
- District Youth Festival (Government of Punjab)
Students Achievments : Zonal Youth Festival (2019-20)
- 1 st Prize in Folk Orchestra
- 3 rd Prize in Classical Instrument (Percussion)
- 3 rd Prize in Classical Instrument (Non-Percussion)
Student progression & Achievement.
- Most of students enroll themselves for Master’s after comletion of their Bachler’s Degree.
- Some students are selected in public & private sectors department like – Punjab Police, Indian Army, Banks, Hospitals, Transports etc.
- Some students persuing diploma in varies field like P.G.D.C.A., D.H.M. etc.
- Some students are doing studio work .