Welcome to Government College Department : Geography Department
INTRODUCTION: This department was established in 1945.
VISION:Department aspires to build a community of creative and critical thinkers with local to global impact
- To provide students with effective and relevant development, support and materials focusing on geographic concepts, content and pedagogy.
- To educate students about the relevance of Geography in 21 st
- To motivate and inspire the action of students within the context of curriculum design.
- To cultivate awareness among students about geo-literacy in their day to day life.
- To engage students in the development of geo-literacy.
Name: Assistant Shaminder Kaur
Joining Date: 2001-12-10
Qualification: MA MPhil geography
Area of Specialisation:Population geography
Email: [email protected]
Vidwan ID : 382764
Appointment Type : Regular
Name: Assistant Dimple .
Designation: Assistant Professor(Guest Facu
Joining Date: 2015-07-27
Qualification: M.Tech Geoinformatics B.Ed UGC NET Geography M.A.Geography B.A (Honors in Geography)
Area of Specialisation:Population Geography Remote Sensing and GIS
Email: [email protected]
Vidwan ID : 382587
Appointment Type : Guest Faculty
GEOGRAPHY HONOURSBA 2 Hons (1).pdf
BA 3 Hons (1).pdf
BA 2 (2).pdf
BA 3 (1).pdf
GEOGRAPHY HONOURSBA 2 Hons.pdf
BA 3 Hons.pdf
BA 1 (1).pdf
BA 2 (1).pdf
GEOGRAPHYGeography B.A 1 Lesson plan 2019-20.pdf
Geography B.A 2 Lesson Plan 2019-20.pdf
Geography B A 3 Lesson Plan 2019-20.pdf
GEOGRAPHYGeography BA 1 Lesson Plan 2018-19.pdf
Geography BA 2 Lesson Plan 2018-19.pdf
Geography BA 3 Lesson Plan 2018-19.pdf
- Pass course in Geography in all 6 Semesters
- Honours Course in 4 semesters
Department offers Geography as an optional subject at an undergraduate Level. A degree in Geography paves way for many career opportunities such as defense, teaching, higher studies, remote sensing, GIS, Mapping and Surveying etc.
- PASS COURSE PAPERS
BA 1 SEM I GEOMORPHOLOGY
This paper helps students in knowing the nature and scope of geography, theories related to the origin of earth and origin of continents and helps in understanding the basic concepts of Geography related to Physical features of the earth including the processes involved in their formation.
BA 1 SEM 1 CARTOGRAPHY: Maps & Scale and Representation of relief
This Paper gives practical knowledge about the types of maps and the use of scales in mapping and also helps students in understanding the various methods and techniques used for representing relief on maps. Chain and Tape survey helps them in learning measurements techniques on the field.
BA 1 SEM II CLIMATOLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY
This paper gives information about the weather elements and the instruments used to record these elements and the global phenomena of oceans and their benefits.
BA 1 SEM II CARTOGRAPHY: Enlargement and reduction of maps & Weather maps
This paper helps in learning various Map enlargement and reduction techniques manually and mechanically. In this paper students are taught about reading of weather maps and how various weather elements are symbolized on maps.
BA 2 SEM III RESOURCE AND ENVIRONMENT
This paper helps in knowing about the types of resources and their world patterns. Classification of Environment and Man-Environment relationship in this paper helps students in understanding their surroundings in a better way.
BA 2 SEM IV GEOGRAPHY OF PUNJAB
In this paper students learn every aspect related to their state such as its relief, drainage, soils, population, industry, agriculture etc.
BA 3 SEM V WORLD REGIONAL GEOGRAPHY- NORTH AMERICA, SOUTH
This paper helps in knowing about the regional geography of the above three continents such as their relief, social and economic resources etc.
BA 3 SEM VI WORLD REGIONAL GEOGRAPHY- ASIA, AFRICA, AUSTRALIA
This paper helps in knowing about the geographical aspects of Asia, Africa and Australia.
- HONORS PAPERS
BA 2 Sem-III & IV
Paper 1- The Nature of Geography
This paper helps in knowing about the History of geography in ancient, Medieval and modern Period as well the development of subject considering dualisms, theories and major concepts.
Paper 2 Option-1- Population Geography
This paper helps students in specializing in the field of Population geography and is very helpful if students wants to pursue career in the subject.
BA 3 Sem-V & VI
Paper 3- Applied Geography
This paper includes the application of Geographical concepts and theories for the welfare of society.
Paper 4- Option 1- Agricultural Geography
This paper gives specialization in the field of agricultural Geography including various theories beneficial for agriculture.
- Two well equipped laboratories
- Wall Maps, Atlases, Field Surveying Instruments, Topographic Sheets, Working Model of Solar system, Weather maps, Instruments to record weather elements such as Temperature, Humidity, Rainfall, Wind Velocity, Atmospheric Pressure etc. are available in the department for students.
- Stationery such as Drawing boards, Pencil,eraser, Scale, Drawing Sheets, Chart Paper, Graphs, Physical Maps etc. are available for students to conduct all kind of lab activities
- ICT Facility is also available for the students in the department.
- Departmental Library is there to help the economically weak students and even other students who want to supplement their learning.
- Overhead Projector is available for making presentations with Transparency Sheets.
Teachers and Students are the members of the association and they jointly contribute for the welfare of the department. Funds raised are used for conducting various curricular and extracurricular activities such as Field trips, Van Mahotsav, Earth day, Green Diwali etc.
- Inter Department Quiz competition has been conducted to improve student’s general awareness.
- Cleanliness drive has been organized in the Department and its surroundings under Swacch Bharat Abhiyaan which helps in developing team work and coordination among the students.
- Paper reading, map making and Chart making competitions has been conducted for the students to improve their presentation skills and creativity.
- Students have been participating in various events at district and university level such as Quiz, Giddha, Bhangra, Debate and declamation.
- Students have been encouraged to celebrate Green Diwali by conducting Diya Making and rangoli making competition in the department.
- Various students are encouraged for participation in inter college competitions and youth festivals.
Student progression & Achievement.
- Majority of Geography graduates pursue post-graduation in Geography or bachelor of education with Social Sciences.
- Some of our students are pursuing PGDCA.
- Some students are Preparing for competitive examination such as CDS, SSB, SSC, Banking and Civil Services
- Our Geography Honors Student Abhijeet Kaur is Teaching in a school.
- Two students of the Department namely Amarjeet Singh and Gurcharan Bhatia have been successfully selected in Army.
- Some of our students give home tuitions to school going children.
- Our student Inderjit Singh is pursuing higher education in Canada.
- Provide quality education and inculcate a spirit of service and dedication among the students is the prime motive of our department and staff.